Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fix You-Coldplay

Perfect. I needed this song to get me back in the swing of my blogging project. As I listen to this familiar tune, I am comforted by a sense of peace. Though these lyrics were most likely not written with reference to Christ, I get this great settledness when I think of God as the narrator of this song. These lyrics hit home. Lately, I feel like all I do is work, push and try harder. But I don't know that I have seen much come from these efforts. At least, nothing has looked like I hoped. At the same time, I understand life is not about trying just to achieve; if I'm never recognized, then so be it. I want to look to glorifying God rather than myself-but that's a whole other subject! Anyway, I'm resonating with these words tonight...and I know God is here, holding my hand to guide me through it all. 

When you try your best, but you don't succeed
When you get what you want, but not what you need
When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone but it goes to waste
Could it be worse? 

Lights will guide you home, 
And ignite your bones, 
And I will try to fix you

This song screams brokenness. When does change happen? When we are utterly and completely lost, at the bottom, drained from the endless tears. Then there is this picture of hope-a light-that directs us towards home, towards rest. Hmmmm...I'm smiling right now as I think of God's rest. Something else I love about looking at these lyrics is the obvious influence of God's pressing on hearts. Coldplay is an extremely respected and talented band; but they don't know Christ, as far as I know. I'm thinking that God has been drawing these guys to himself for a long time, and this is reflected in their word choices. I love it! It encourages me to pray more often for these extremely influential musicians. Man, I love this song. And I love how Jesus is teaching me so much about himself. 

No comments: