Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Come Thou Fount-Jadon Lavik

I'd much prefer to listen to Sufjan's arrangement, but I won't turn this song down if it comes my way. I think I've always understood this hymn because of the truth it speaks. These words seem to give voice to my heart's stirrings lately:
Let thy goodness, like a fetter
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, oh take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.

If I were to put these words into my own, I think I'd say, "God, let your goodness be the chain that binds my seeking heart to you. I feel a tendency to search elsewhere for Truth, to search for something else besides you, the one I love most. Please take this heart, my heart, and make it yours. Put your name on my heart, and get it ready for the days I will forever spend with you in Heaven." 

Tonight, I'm extremely melancholy. I've been overly sensitive, emotional, and extremely off for the last couple days. I could excuse it all by saying I'm just tired and overworked, but really, I think my heart has been wandering. I'm desiring this big, blow-you-away love, but I haven't been looking to the Lover who gives me that every day. I want that joy back that I had not too long ago. It was a simple joy-a joy that looked for Jesus in every day and in every thing. Maybe these few days have just been a process of realizing Jesus is really all I ever want and need. I'm not satisfied with anything else, even if I strongly think I will be. So tonight, I'm thankful for a good, stable Father. In my wandering, he is always there to affirm Truth. I think I need to be done with this moody, emotional Jess. Onto a different attitude and a different focus. Jesus.

2 comments:

Greg said...

What about the Chris Rice arrangement?

Nathaniel FitzGerald said...

The original sings the verse...

"Jesus sought me when a stranger
Wandering from the fold of God.
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.
How His kindness yet pursues me
Mortal tongue can never tell.
Here, in flesh till death release me,
I cannot proclaim it well."

Favorite verse ever.