Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mesmerized-Lifehouse

This song is in my library, yet I don't think I have listened to it before today. I don't love it. I do like much of what Lifehouse creates, but this was just okay. The thing I love about Lifehouse's music is the flow of memories that comes whenever I hear the lead singer's distinctive voice. In high school, we sang You and Me in our small singing group. We sang to the tune of two acoustic guitars, joined in four part harmony, and I'll never forget the joy I took from being a part of that kind of group. Some of my best memories and closest friends all came from this group, Unity. We performed at several assemblies, school pageants, choir concerts, Christmas Feaste (also known as Madrigals), and various community events. It's funny to think that I lived in the choir room during my high school career. Between there and my competitive speaking classroom, I spent many hours outside of class just enjoying the people. I loved high school. Sometimes I get very critical of my younger years and my time at Springdale, but I really enjoyed it. I had so many opportunities, responsibilities, and memories. 

And then, there is the Lifehouse song, Storm. This is a song I fell in love with shortly after David introduced it to me. The words and almost eerily beautiful melody take hold of me in a way that only few songs have done. I could list you those songs-I know them well-but Storm is definitely one. I have journaled about this song before in my daily thoughts, but maybe one day I'll get to include its influence in my little project. I don't really know how I went from the song Mesmerized to high school to Storm, but I don't think it matters. I don't have any rigid rules for this, so I'll just go with whatever happens. Until tomorrow... 


No comments: